Change of Hobbies (part 1)

Change of Hobbies (part 1)

reading
hobbies

Hi, everyone!

This is my second post on Journaly!

In my last post I recieved a lot of help from you to fix my mistakes, thank you very much!

Today I want to share my thoughts about a slightly diffrent topic related to my change of hobbies throughout this 2 year-quarantine.

When I was an undergraduate student, every so often played the guitar (pretty well if you ask, at least to me, jaja), drew some animal sketches (less astounding than my musician skills), played one hour of chess twice a week, read the five books of "A song of Ice and Fire" (I'm really anxious to see the outcome of this saga), went out with my friends and watched some series and movies in Netflix or Amazon (only with the three free month membership. Sorry, I'm tight-fisted enough to don't buy two subscriptions, jeje) to improve my english skills with comprehensible input.

At the beginning of the pandemic a lot of people started their own YouTube channel. I think (in my perception), most of them were a kind of way to de-stress themselves. It came to pass that in one of those days filled with uncertainty, I found out an unexpected video called 7 Reglas del poder (completo) (7 rules of power (complete)) published by a peculiar channel so-called Migala, you now, like that dreadful spider which appear on the short tale wrote by the mexican Juan José Arreola with the same name. The topic and form the video was unfolded is something that I'd never seen before. It moved something in me that let me open my mind to new ways of think and analyse the interaction between states, groups and individuals coveting power.

Whilst the video was reaching its end, I felt an unprecedented thirst and hunger for a new field of kwoledge already unfolded to me. I clicked the next video War: the first 10,000 years and, without doubt, it was the second most mind-blowing topic I had the pleasure to watch in that time. Throughout the following weeks, I finished all its videos. The channel comprises two formats: podcasts and videos; the first ones are the main production of the channel, but with the second ones its popularity chiefly came. The channel stopped uploading monthly videos to focus on their podcasts (they have around 76 and counting at the moment of this publication), but almost three years ago "The Hobbit" (author pseudonym) promised the second part of its acclaimed video which will cover the last ten thousand years of war.

After that encounter, I started to search, read, watch and, at last, study new topics related to philosophy, law, economy, political science and sociology. I didn't do it in a deeply academic way. I started searching more YouTube channels which presented topics alike and gradually found astonishing mexican, argentinian and spanish channels. And now, I search the videos' bibliography and, once in a while, enter into the academic offers in UNAM website (National Autonomous University of Mexico) and search the study plans and resources of its programs. More often than not, I pick up some books from the nearer bookstore or search scientific magazines and tried to make their knowledge mine.

That's all for today!

I'll bring you the next parts of this journey in the following days!

Thank for your attention and corrections in my text.

Headline image by tingeyinjurylawfirm on Unsplash

2