Reading 30 Korean books in a year

Reading 30 Korean books in a year

"Comprehensible input" is what you hear these days from people in the immersion learning community. I was intrigued by this approach and the great outcome it promised.

So two years into my Korean learning journey, I put in the time and looked for content that appealed to me. At the time the most comprehensible material were webnovels. I got them on the Ridi app which comes with dictionary support from Naver. I went along and looked up almost every unknown word.

In the beginning my reading speed was painfully slow and I couldn't handle anything longer than a 30 minute session. But that quickly changed. After the first 20 or so hours I was able to read almost twice as quickly.

I tracked the time and the amount of pages read in a spreadsheet. I managed to read 30-50 pages per day, with a devoted time of around 45 minutes. Usually split with 30 mins in the morning and 15 mins sometime later that day.

When webnovels became easier, I moved on to YA fiction, a genre I generally enjoy reading. I soon diverged to japenese translated mystery novels, SciFi and short story collections, picking up vocabulary from a broad variety of fields. By the end of the 12 months I had aqcuired another 3000 words in my vocab knowledge. Thereby the amount of unknown words per book went down gradually.

In the end I was able to finish a book within just a week, only looking up a word every few pages. Context helped me infer the meaning of some words and the imagery of characters, interactions and scenes became a lot more vivid.

Reading also significantly improved my thinking and talking speed in the TL.

This is one of the most effective methods to make progress, especially when you're upper intermediate that is why I can only recommend it.

6