My Sunday Language Diary

My Sunday Language Diary

Happy Sunday, everyone ;)

I'm learning Polish the only way I know to. Learning bucket-loads of words — Learn Grammar on top (soon) — Practice said bucket-loads of words on the treadmill. So yeah, I revise, write, exercise / revise and study. It used to take me hours. Now, I have simplified a way in which to learn words by writing 15 new words a day. Though, not including the exercising in one session. It should only take me 2 hours.

And when I say 15 new words a day, it's more likely that it will be absorbed into the mix of other Polish words. I could just as easily write 7 or 3 new words a day, but my thinking is the more words that can be absorbed into my mix, the more words I'll have to be getting to know. LOL

So here's my way of learning new words, even though I'm not 100% sure they've sunk in yet. So I have maybe 500 to 650 words, not including numbers. Though, I have about the same amount.

1. Polish Frequency Dictionary 1, which contains about 2500 words.

2. A5 refill pad in A5 ring binder — 5 pages for every 15 words.

3. Write down numbers in margins and say each number as you write them down (in Polish).

4. Pages 1-2 used for native and target words.

5. Insert page between 1-2 with Polish words along with the 1st letter(s) of their English meaning.

6. Pages 3-4 will be used for my own sentences in English / Polish, not someone else's. ;)

7. A3 blank paper lined with ruler. Top / Header line 1 and a half inches. All other lines about 1 inch.

8. Write between 11 and 15 words on each line separated with a floating dot and, up to only 105 words.

9. Write underneath each Polish word with it's 1st letter(s) equivalents.

How I revise:

Mon: (words): 15, 105, 210, 315..., etc in increments of another 105.

Tue: (words): 30, 120, 225, 330..., etc, blah, blah, blah.

Wed - Thur - Fri - Sat - Sun (always revising incrementally)

Then I write down 15 new words. Only on a Sunday, I will write out a new A3 sheet of paper with another 105 Polish words. I think I'm up to 630 with more awaiting my assistance. ;)

And well, you get the picture. Once I've got a full 105 Polish words, I then plop it onto my treadmill. And if not, there are older A3 sheets to get me going. Though, I've had to fashion a display that sits on my treadmill's own display, whilst propped up on a broomstick. LOL

Incidentally, the other thing you could do, which I do myself is to get some of those A3 clear pockets, some rings and hooks and, have your work hanging up wherever you like. ;)

2