How can I learn a language without living abroad or having a native speaker as a friend?

habits
hobbies

1. I create language learning environment for myself. I set my phone in English, watch videos in English daily, listen to English songs and follow English speaking Youtubers/ content creaters/ teachers. While I'm surfing the internet, I come across many short educational clips. This is how I learn new words and phases gradually everyday. My preferences are on pronunciation, cultures and travelling. I'm a fan of "What are the differences between American, British and Australian English" kind of titles. I read aloud. Even though, I couldn't understand the text at first, with time, I get used to it and later on I can understand its content while reading out loud. I often imagine having a conversation with someone to practise speaking, and pretend to be on both sides of the conversation.

2. Understanding grammar is important for me because I don't want to only memorise them. I try to understand them first and then practise to get used to it. I recently have sticky notes posted to my bedroom wall. I write down words or grammar points that I haven't been able to remember yet and post them right next to my bed. Everyday before I go to bed, I sit against the wall and review them. Once they sink, they'll be moved to another wall. I call them the "work in progress wall (WIP)" and "success wall (S)". Looking at the success wall, it reminds me of how far I have come since the sticky notes keep increasing. You can actually count every single success if you need that little confidence boost. I sometimes go over the S wall again to make sure that I am still able to recall those words, if not, they'll be sent back to the WIP wall. I also thought of another way to review but I haven't tried it yet. If it works out, I'll update it. It'll be challenging, fun and also funny. 😂

3. I don't translate between languages. It's extreamly hard. Literally, I tried and I failed many times. For me, making up a new whole sentence in another language is much easier than translating. In my opinion, when I think, I don't think in any language. I just think. However, when it comes to communication there's a language involved. For daily conversations, I use whatever language that pops up first. In more formal settings, I have to force myself to only talk in 1 chosen language. This explains why I always mix up languages and sometimes ended up forgetting words in my mother tongue, sad truth though. 🤦🏼‍♀️ If you keep translating between languages, your response will be slowed down and you will probably get stuck for words that do not exist in some languages. I prefer linking new information to pictures instead of translations. Seeing a cat should tricker all the cat words in different languages, not just a word "cat" which can be translated to other languages. It's better to catch the vibes and understand native speakers' views (why they say it like that) towards their languages than to only stick to translation. Being able to switch between languages unconciously will cut response time in half in real-life conversations.

4. I allow myself to make mistakes while I'm speaking. Knowing the correct way of saying something doesn't mean that you can say it naturally. Our brain and muscle need some trainings. But knowing the correct way of saying it means that you can fix it next time. This is how I practise speaking without a speaking partner and it's why I love learning grammar so much.

5. I listen to my target languages as much as possible. Any input helps. It may be subtle but, believe it or not, it never goes to waste. I sometimes doubted myself if some words should be pronounced the ways I had heard because they were different from their spellings but if I continued hearing the same sounds from 3 plus different native speakers, I went on with trusting my ears. There was a time when I was walking on a street and unintentionally heard and understood people's conversations. That was the time when I realised that my listening skill had improved and my hard work had finally paid off.

6. I write in different languages. I personally like writing. Well I asked myself.. why not do it in every languages I know so that I can practise?

Here I come, writing about anything I could think of (that interests me) and hope it's worth your time reading them. In order to write well, I have to keep all information active. I have to not only recall grammar rules and a wide length of vocaburary but also carefully check when something doesn't feel right. I often ended up spending longer time writing than I expected because I invested so much time trying to figure out if there is any difference between two similar words, recheck my spelling (which is usually wrong 😅) and look up synonymes in dictionaries. Besides, I love using phases I don't normally use in everyday life to see if I will make a mistake using it or not. By doing this regularly, I could expand my language database, learn and re-learn what I might misunderstood. Most importantly, I can enjoy making my own funny and non-sense sentences while making mistakes because learning is all about making mistakes. It's simply part of the process.

My favorite word I keep saying to myself is "yet".

I don't know it "yet".

I don't have it "yet".

I haven't been there "yet".

I haven't done it "yet".

I haven't tried it "yet".

I haven't got it right "yet".

I'm not there "yet".

Since "yet" implies something hasn't happened, there is always a possibility, isn't it?

#flynnonJournaly

#flynnatory

24/06/22

6.58 p.m.

4