2021/01/11

2021/01/11

culture

I need to give some background before I write down my story.

Currently in the Chinese video websites, a function named "bullet-screen comments" (correct me if it has an English name). The function is that users can write down comments when they are watching the video. On the next time, when the other users are watching the video, the comments will be shown on the video screen on the exact timeline when it was written down.

This function was first developed by a Japanese video website called NikoNiko or NicoNico (ニコニコ in Japanese) and was adapted by the Chinese video website called BiliBili which focuses on videos about ACG culture. Later, the function became very popular in China, and almost all of the Chinese video websites provide this function.

I did not find this function on YouTube. Is there any English video website that has this function now?

Above is the background, and the following is my story.

Yesterday, I suddenly wanted to re-watch a detective anime TV series named "The Kindaichi Case Files". It has 148 episodes and will take me a lot of time for watching. During watching the episodes, I noticed a very impolite manner in the bullet-screen comments.

Some people put the comments like "I like Detective Conan more than this one", "Detective Conan is far better than The Kindaichi Case Files", blablabla.

I think it is very impolite to the people who are watching "The Kindaichi Case Files". I maybe like or dislike "Detective Conan". But I am watching "The Kindaichi Case Files". Just like someone keeps saying "I think 'Star Trek' is better" when you are watching "Star Wars". It is so rude. I mean you can discuss about which one is better on some discussion website or somewhere, but do not ruin the experience of watching this one.

What I expect from the bullet-screen comments for the detective episodes is that people discuss who is the murder or point out some clues which are hard to find and so on.

What do you think about it? Has this situation happened on the English video websites?

0