Lost in Translation

Lost in Translation

romance
relationships
movies

The title of this writing is originally from a movie called "Lost in Translation" in where Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson cast as two lonely strangers who encounter at the same hotel in the middle of Tokyo, Japan. The story kicks off in a slow pace followed by the downtown aesthetics of Tokyo and busy crowds. Although the liveliness of Japanese culture and people can alleviate their loneliness for a moment but having no access to Japanese language creates so much confusion for these two strangers. At worst, they don't know who to turn to and where to head toward. Being there doesn't feel at home and their presence seems to be alienated from the society there. Besides that, there are not so many dialouges, but the human connection without words come to play throughout the movie. Real human connection comes in different shapes and sizes which means each value is completely different. If you have one person who you can rely on no matter what, it can really fill the deepest darkest void once you weren't able to. That person can understand what's behind your words. That person can reach inside your heart and unfold the emotional layers. That person can read the signs of your face without any judgments. Having said that, this type of romance seems to be a cinematic fantasy but in reality, that's how certain people meet each other by chance and hit it off. For some, they end up nurturing a family through thick and thin. We all have that one particular encounter with someone that lives rent free in the back of our minds. Whether it is a right person at the wrong time or not, our memory plays a series of flashbacks which are hard to be forgotten. This movie sets a genuine tone for how two strangers fall in love and try to have fun in a foreign country. They love each other within a short period of time but they have to leave Tokyo and walk in different paths as they have their own lives to carry on. They told each other that they will never come back here again. The only thing they could say was, "I'll see you later."

2