The Superiority of Natural Habitats

The Superiority of Natural Habitats

biology
nature
animals
wildlife
Argumentative paragraph writing task.

In many places around the world, it is common to see different kinds of animals kept in zoos and similar places for people to visit and have a closer look at them, but this has become extremely detrimental to the well-being of many species. Animals should be allowed to return to their natural habitats and live in an adequate environment.

Zoos are unethical for different reasons:

Humans do not have the right to capture and confine animals under any circumstance, much less for the sole purpose and selfish desire to see them in person and make a memorable experience. More often than not, these animals suffer from boredom, stress, and confinement. This is evidenced by their malnutrition, poor condition, and abnormal behaviour patterns. In addition to this, it is worth mentioning that removing individuals from their natural habitat endangers the wild population as the remaining individuals will be less genetically diverse and may have greater difficulty finding mates.

One could argue that zoos educate the public and are more likely to foster an empathetic attitude toward animals, but there are several ways to do that without risking the lives of thousands of species who could live a healthy and happy life in their natural habitats.

2