Generation Competition

Generation Competition

culture
family
parenting

Nowadays, there is a lot of controversy among younger generations and older generations whether who contributed to the society the most or who is being reductive. It is indeed fascinating to see that people from a very far distance, whom we didn't know or never met make the future possible for us. They introduced cutting-edge technology and brought groundbreaking advancements to the world that cannot be ever dispensable. It's true to a certain extent that the older generations pave the way for us so that we can walk in a better lane. Generation by generation, we have to look over the shoulders of the forerunners in order to broaden our horizons by leveraging the resources as well as the knowledge that the older generation passed down to us. In this way, modern civilization and infrastructural development came to flourish. None of this wouldn't have come true if the followers hadn't gone out of their way to experiment with new innovations beyond what was given. For instance, the modern jets and aircraft wouldn't have existed if the new inventors hadn't followed the exact same technique of the first-ever plane by the aviation pioneers known as the Wright Brothers. They planted a seed for us and the later people grew it to different sizes and shapes. Of course, they had to make modifications in an accordance with the blueprint of the Wright Brothers in order for the upcoming planes to function better over decades. Despite the thousands of trial and error, now we are experiencing the planes that regularly travel at high speeds over 600mph. Therefore, when the older generation sets a bar for us, it becomes our duty to raise it to the highest as possible.

Similarly, when it comes to the relationship between parents and children, parents are always at hand to offer guidance to their children. Parents have their backs on in the face of adversity. No matter how hard parents try to back them up, at the end of the day, everyone is bound to be separated as nothing is permanent. Everyone will be gone. But, it's not the right move for parents to step in too soon enough that children can't even evaluate their mistakes let alone weigh up the pros and cons when encountering problems. In addition to that, frequent help in solving children's problems can instill a fear of failure in them. Chances are that they will have an increasing tendency to look out for help regardless of the minor inconveniences rather than solve them on their own. Heavy reliance on each other will do more harm than good since it can hinder children's development in terms of reasoning skills and analytical thinking over time.

If you ask me, I always wanted to have a carefree life without depending on everyone but, in reality, it's almost impossible. The amount of inspiration that I have to get from people including my parents and even strangers is massive in everyday life and so, I can't seem to be independent without them. The invaluable lessons that I learned from social environments give me a new vision of life and people. The possible thing is that I can take them as a stepping stone and lift myself to a whole another level in whatever I'm doing. That's how people evolve their skills to become better and better from scratch. Students can be better than their teachers. Likewise, the younger generations can be better than older generations. Unless they are born gifted with an aptitude for a particular skill, they can't be better without the primary guidance, which is also applied to inventions of any kind. The bottom line is that it's promising to thrive in every aspect of life depending on the source of inspiration and knowledge which are nurtured by experienced people. The heated conversations about the comparison of two generations keep driving a wedge between them. Instead of getting drawn to those arguments, it will be much better if we can reach common ground by not fixating on one particular side and considering all the pros and cons of both sides.

P.S The image of this article belongs to the rightful owner:

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/B3-DA671_WEBRSZ_574V_20190131112630.jpg

2