Reading 'Slam Dunk' for the first time, Chapter 1.

reading
fiction
sports

Slam Dunk is a Japanese sports manga series written and illustrated by Takehiko Inoue, which I just started to read and I'm so excited about it. Here I wrote about what happened in this first chapter and at the end I'll share my personal opinion.

The manga begins with the main character Sakuragi-kun who is being rejected by a girl because She likes Amano-kun from the basketball team. So immediately his friends, who was present in the moment that He was rejected, make fun of him and congrate him for being rejected by 50 girls. After this Sakuragi-kun becomes more sensitive and hits every person that dares to mention something about this girl. His friends try to cheer him up but fail immediately.

It’s when Sakuragi-kun was wandering in the school that a girl, whose name is Haruko, asks him whether he likes basketball, because She thinks that Sakuragi-kun is an athlete for his muscles and height. So obviously Sakuragi-kun answers that he likes it a lot because he's an athlete. Inspired after this Sakuragi-kun wants to become an athlete, so he starts running in the school until Sakuragi gets to the 3rd year hallway without notices it and his friends looking this try to stop him but Sakuragi-kun is distracted thinking about Haruko-chan, so his friend end up giving up and go letting him alone. Sakuragi doesn't realice of this and keeps exercising in the middle of the hallway so two older students from the 3rd year come near him and one of th two kicks him and threatens him by telling him to come to the roof after school, but Sakuragi upset by this gives him a punch. However, this doesn't get worse because of Haruko-chan, who was seeking for a friend of hers.

After school Haruko-chan invite Sakuragi to go to the basketball court and watch, He happily accept it, and they both go. When they get there’s no one there but they stay, and Haruko reveals him She was a member of the basketball team on junior high, She wasn't that good though, that’s why she stopped playing basketball but she still likes to watch. Later She encourages Sakuragi-kun to try to “slam dunk”, which she describes as Basketball’s most famous most exhilarating most crowd rousing skill. He trys it and, even though his jump is really amazing and high, misses while hitting his forehead with the hoop. Haruko-chan, who is very excited by the jump, tells him that He definitely should join the basketball team. And here ends this part.

By the way, the two older students from the 3rd year hallway and one friend of them was waiting for Sakuragi-kun on the roof after school as they told him before but obviously this never showed up.

Now my personal opinion about this first chapter. I did enjoy reading and later writing this because I really want to improve my writing and this manga is a great way of doing it, besides This manga is a classic and Basketball is my favorite sport, I can't help it Basketball is really cool.

The Takehiko Inoue's art in this first chapter was already astonishing, and I know that in the next chapters his drawings are going to improve a lot.

I also wanted to mention that I didn't have a lot of troubles following the story, I had some troubles writing this though, so I think I’m going to write about the next chapters while I go reading them. This is going to be really funny.

0