The path to modern Dentistry (First Part)

health

Firts part:

Dentistry is without a doubt one of the most explored sciences along the history. From the usage of rudymentary tools to much more sophisticated appliances, this field is as old as human beings. The first record of this practice was encountered in Europe, specifically in Spain. Although the scope was bigger than it is nowadays (getting a license to practice dentistry does not come along with a barber one) the first dental procedures (extractions) were performed by Barbers. Yes, you read it right. In medieval times if a person was suffering from a tooth decay, a barbershop was the place to go. Unfortunately, as you may think, they did not offered a vast array of local anaesthetics to pale the pain, actually it was none . So yeah, it was definitely not a pleasant experience to go through.

Phlebotomy or the art of bleeding (as it was believed that making cuts in specific parts of the body could defeat diseases) it was a practical skill that was handed down from generation to the next one. Of course, this pseudo-science was criticized by doctors or professionals that hold a degree, often claiming that even boundaries of superstition were surpassed.

Times went by, and no differenciation between barbers and physicians were found. The regulations put in place were vague . Even the attempts of studying a topic deeply were late in coming. To illustrate that, the first author to describe an oral diseases was Bernardo de Gordon in medieval times, who wrote about the concept of loose tooth. Followed by Guy de Chauliac who promote the hygiene of oral tissues, an incomoplete altough, rock-solid fundation was settled.

Hi guys! this is my first post, it is incomplete draft as you may realize but little by little they say.

Have a great day you all!

2