In some offices, employees work in enclosed workstations or cubicles. Other offices have a more open design. Which type of arrangement do you think is most effective?

business
design
interior design
architecture
productivity

Some managers and architects design enclosed workstations or cubicles for workers. On the other hand, other workstations have a more open design, with no walls or barriers separating people from their co-workers. In this brief essay, I will discuss some aspects of both types of arrangements.

As for enclosed cubicles, there are advantages and disadvantages. First, people can concentrate more on their work and not pay much attention to what their colleagues are doing. Also, there is more privacy and the area can be free of noise. However, teamwork can suffer when using this design because people tend to focus on themselves instead of sharing ideas or thoughts with others. Not to mention that some people may feel apart and lonely.

Regarding the open design, this option is perfect for promoting a team atmosphere in the office. Everyone can share ideas and thoughts more freely. Moreover, it is very easy to detect a lack of coordination and try to solve it. Still, there are some drawbacks related to procrastination problems, distractions, and overly social employees.

In summary, in my opinion, there is no perfect standard design for building an office, it depends entirely on what kind of activities or tasks are going to be performed in that place. For example, if we want a customer service area, workstations or cubicles are the best options for productivity. Likewise, if we need a place where creativity and teamwork are key factors, an open design will be the right choice.

1