Bak Bana

Bak Bana

Those are two Turkish words meaning "Look at me" in English and "Regarde-mois" in French.

They also form the title of a song by Turkish singer, Sena Şener, a song which I have chosen to be  part of one of  my New Year's resolutions: every month, for each of my target languages, I will study at least one song by a native artist.

"Bak Bana" is the first target language song I'm studying in 2021. It is a Turkish song because that is one of my target languages and the one I'm the most familiar with. (I'm open to any suggestions for similar French songs). This song plays a very relaxing tune, which is very suitable to play in the background. I like the singer, but above all, I like the romantic story "Bak bana" portrays. It is so similar to my current romantic relationship with Language fluency!!!!

"Fluency", like the elusive character of  the song, is  that unatainable hill in the language learning landscape, while I'm stuck at the bottom of the hill.  Something like day and night during a time lapse ... so near, yet unreachable ... at least during the early stages of language learning.

Like the character in the song, I keep on searching and asking for that elusive "fluency" and I do not intend to stop until I get to it.  I am not too sure about the final outcome in the song's romance, but in my romance with fluency for my target languages, I am assured a happy ending, , because I love "Fluency" so much that I want it to look at me, love me back and finally, to be a part of me. After all, that is what learning languages is all about:  an acquiring process full of love and fun ...

0