Sexism in tutoring industry

Sexism in tutoring industry

language learning

I'm very well aware of the fact that female has suffered a hell lot more than their male counterparts. Family. School. Work. Nearly by all means women have been made to live a life full of obstacles and constraints. Cruel and sad as it may sound, yet is very true for the world of patriarchy.

But it appears to me that in Taiwan, among all kinds of "more effeminate jobs" like a nurse, teacher, housewife, there is one less discussed job that favors women over men: tutor. I'm saying this because I, a male adult, have been looking for an English tutor job for like a month, yet hearing nothing from those in seek of a tutor. And I'm not any college student - I'm not bragging, but from what I've achieved in academic or extracurricular parts, I'm sure I make a decent candidate.

But as I said, no one has ever come across the idea to give me a chance to have a trial lesson, let alone hiring me. As compared to my classmates who happen to be women, they are significantly more welcomed by tutor seekers. And I don't mean to degrade them, but honestly speaking, I highly doubt their English proficiency and teaching ability, in that some of them really, really suck at school and English.

In fact, if you look closer to the Facebook clubs or other tutor-seeking websites, you can find out that many have put "female applicants are preferable" down in the description. As a result, some have teased this phenomenon and described it as "sexism" in the tutoring industry. You know, kind of like a reversed one, where women stand a higher ground over their male counterparts.

All that being said, females still suffer a lot after they step into the workplace. Some might have a hard time getting a proper job just because they're women. Some might not get a job promotion simply because they're women. And still some others might be looked down on just because they're women. In our current trend where work equality in sex has been widely championed, the work inequality in sex has still been out there. Either does it have to do with men being more privileged than women or the other way around, it seems that the problem is yet to be solved.

3