A Wrinkle in Time - 02

A Wrinkle in Time - 02

multilingual book club 02

Yesterday I finished “A Wrinkle in Time” by Madeleine l'Engle.

It's quite an old book (published in 1962) and was written for children between 10 and 14.

I hoped it would be easy to read because I wanted a “bedtime-book”.

And yes, it was easy to read but still interesting.

I may not have learned a lot of new words. I did look up some words, but since I didn't bother to memorise them (e.g. by repeating them or writing them down or typing them into Anki), I'm pretty sure the words didn't stick to my brain. Anyway, at least I had contact with the language.

This book was much easier than the “Shadow of the Wind”. I think this is mainly because there are no very long sentences and because the plot is rather straightforward with only one storyline.

What also makes it easy is the fact that the number of characters is rather limited.

We have Meg Murry, the protagonist, Charles Wallace Murry, her youngest brother, Calvin O'Keefe, a schoolmate and Alex Murry, her father. (She also has a mother and two younger twin brothers, but they are not really relevant to the plot.)

Then we have the antagonist called IT and the Black Thing, a  shadowy being and the source of all evil in the universe.

There are also three supernatural beings : Mrs. Which, Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit.

I specially liked Mrs. Who. She often communicates in quotes and uses Latin, Spanish, Italian, German, French, Portuguese and Greek, but repeats everything in English afterwards, so no need to understand those languages.

I liked the way Madeleine l'Engle writes and I may read another book by her.

4