The Tridoshas - Part I

The Tridoshas - Part I

health
yoga
nature

I have started my journey as an Ayurvedic student in March of this year and I am really happy to have this amazing opportunity to study such a blessed wisdon. My Swami (a master or a guru) is Dr. José Rugue , one of the most important people in Vedic Science in Brazil and in the world. So, what I will share with you is part of what I am studying with him.

To really understant Ayurveda, first of all, we need to study the Vedic Philosophy Principles, but for this post to be easier to read and to comprehend I am going to discuss this in a serie of publications, step by step. For now, I will introduce to you one for the most famous issue in Ayurveda: the doshas.

We must start from the point that the Universe is made by just one substance: Prakriti. This substance express itself in 5 different states, which are called elements (or Buthas in Sanskrit), which are: earth, water, fire, air and ether (or Akasha). This principle has universal consequences and appears in different fields of knowledgement: astrology, Chinese medicine, Buddhism, biology, physics and so many others.

So let's have a look in how this works in Ayurveda:

Primary Element

Sedundary Element

Energy

Water

Earth

Kapha

Fire

Water

Pitta

Air

Ether

Vata

Kapha is responsible for structure, nourishment, lubrification and affection;

Pitta is responsible for mental digestion (understanding) as well as light "digestion" for our skin, for the light through the eyes (our vision power), for digestion itself, cellular digestion and all metabolism;

Vata is responsible for our thought flow, speech and all kind of expressions, for the body's motions and for the all of the body's homeostasis (physical and mental).

We all have these three energies because they are the basis of life and nobody can live without them.

So that's it for now is it and in the next post I will discuss in more detail one of these energies.

Namastê!

3